Thursday, October 18, 2007

Death of a Sperm whale

It was one of my winter visit to my home(Andaman-Panchavati).One day (feb-2002)I heard that a sperm whale was spotted nearby by the morning walkers,I took the cycle and rushed to the stony beach were the sperm whale was washed away by the tide.I found it dead but not stinking,and no evidence of any injury in its body.


I returned to my home to take my camera to click some snaps.When I returned the lower teeth of the whale is missing and the blood from its body was all around.Poachers and smugglers know about these things better.Now while surfing the net I found about the uses of these teeth .They make scrimshaws out of this.The tooth extracted from this whale may be sitting in the showcase in some corner of the world.No dignity even in Death of these mammals!